Thursday, January 06, 2011

Lomo Loot!


I'm in love :)
I'm totally smitten with the Lomography Diana F+ camera!!! It's called Diana F+ Mr Pink and if I'm a camera (toy camera that is), I would be the Diana F+ Mr Pink! (My serious camera persona would be the Leica M8) It's super loud, fun, rock&roll, vibrant, irreverent, spontaneous and unpredictable! The best and most apt part? It's actually of Hong Kong ancestry!! Cos apparently, it's inspired by some 1960s dirt-cheap plastic camera in HK which was retailing at a dollar each (it sounds so funny) and it wasn't a success cos it was considered rubbish. But it got resurrected now because it's famous for its dreamy feel, super saturated color, unpredictable blurring and random contrast. The results? Very cool, artsy shots that no other camera could rival. Who would have known a once condemned plastic camera would have made such a successful come back with its price sky rocketed by 1000 times?
Well I know of it because of Mr Bunny who's an avid photog and he's got the Diana F+ that's been churning out super nice shots....I thought his Diana was really cool when I first saw it and when I saw the pink one, I KNEW I had to buy it. Just have to. 


So here's how my stash look....I jumped into the deep end of the pool and bought everything...well, not EVERYTHING, but I didn't only buy the camera, I also bought a cool strap, a nice camera bag, a backing that allows me to shoot on 35mm film (the Diana F+ shoots on 120 in its original form), a lens splitzer (for special effect) and half a dozen of 120 films....Then I spent half of the night figuring out how to work it and load the film, then the other half "pimping" it, which involves cutting off the original cheap plastic strap and then hooking on the super cute polka dot one that go so nicely with the hot pink.

Setting up and pimping in progress. To get the funky strap, I gotta cut off the original one
using, surgical scissors no less...see the cool surgical scissors! 
Just don't ask me why I have them...ohh, I have scalpel too!

Then viola! Here's my super cool Diana F+!!! LOVE it!!!  Ohhh, and here's the 10 commandments of Lomography!
1. Take your camera everywhere you go.
2. Use it anytime - day and night.
3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
4. Try the shot from the hip.
5. Approach the objects of your lomographic desire as close as possible.
6. Don't think.
7. Be fast.
8. You don't have to know beforehand what you captured on film.
9. Afterwards either.
10. Don't worry about any rules.


I've just shot 2 rolls on my Lomo and I'm very excited to see how the pictures would turn out! I'll process the film soon. I know it'll take a few rolls of film to actually get it right...gonna be a bit pricey cos Mr Bunny said it's about $20 per roll for developing...ouch...But hey, whoever says arts is cheap? Mr Bunny has taken some shots with his Holga Lomo camera and the effects are super nice...here's my favorite of myself taken by him...I love it!!! Lomo rocks! I miss the film camera!





Love the color and all!!

3 comments:

Becky Cheung said...

I think the photo is really nicely taken. If I am not wrong, some software may do the lomo effect but it's the same as the real lomo.

Becky Cheung said...

I mean : "but it's not the same*" -ahyo type too fast!

B said...

It's different lah!! You can do some effect but it can never be the same and analogue shooting is so much more fun than digital cos you're waiting for the film to develop and it's the excitement of wondering what's gonna come out

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails