Sunday, January 09, 2011

Retro Naming...


Does anyone remember the old school manual label maker in the 80s, Dymo? That piece of plastic thingy with a revolving disc and you slip in a label strip and punch in embossed letters? Yup, that one..the one in the picture...I had one when I was in grade school and I loved it. I made labels for my water bottle, pencil case, lunch box and whatever I can stick those cute little labels on. And I'm pretty sure I still have one somewhere at home but I really don't remember where I kept it.....These days, Dymo's making the modern electronic ones, so when I saw a new retro version, IN PINK!, I knew I MUST get it!!! Here!


No no no, I didn't JUST buy it cos I actually got this while I was in Hong Kong. So still a very good chinese jew. Anyways, this one is a sup-ed up version! Not only does it have the standard letter embossing, it's even got an additional disc of cursive letters and little cute icons like hearts and stuff! And these days, they've got such cute tapes...with pink polka dots and even cherries! I LOVE THIS!!!!


Well thing is, the embossing is still best on solid colored tapes cos the ones with patterns just look kinda light and didn't have that same old school analogue oomph...But I'm loving this....the modern label maker just can't compare!

9 comments:

Audrey said...

i love dymo too, now u remind those old school days. i even made endearing names for my friends too and kick ass guys hahahha. hmm..names like sweet heart, bad guy, bad friend forever (BFF!) hahahah so funny. where do you think we can get in singapore here? i lost mine..now u remind me, it has been donkeys and N N N N years after we moved house...

B said...

Hey Audrey,

Yes Dymo kicks ass! And I love the new version that has cursive and cute little icons (actually just heart, star and sun.

I'm not sure where to get it in SG cos I got mine in Hong Kong. But I would imagine you might be able to find one say at the giant Popular at Bras Basah? I really don't know!

dhani™ said...

i wanna play with this!!!

B said...

I'll make some labels for you Dan!

Oh ya, your special order from HK is here!

Anonymous said...

i had one of these while I was at elementary school in the 80's, it was so precious to me, than it was lost. I wish I could find the same one here in Europe..
Basak

B said...

Hey Basak,

I think you might be able to get it in Europe cos the pink one in the photo is a new recent release! Hope you can find one! Though mine's mostly underused.

Anonymous said...

Hi

May I know where do u buy Dymo embossing label tapes in HK?

B said...

Hi Anon, I bought it at this book store in Stanley. There's only one English bookstore there near the main Stanley market but that was some time back. I think some of the book stores sell the tapes but I'm not entirely sure which ones though. I'll just buy the tapes whenever I see one cos you never know when they'll disappear!

Anonymous said...

Hey B,

Thanks for your prompt reply
I'll keep an eye for the tapes..thanks for the info anyways! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails